Wednesday, September 07, 2016

FUN TIME

"What nice watches", I thought as I looked in Carpisa's window this evening - and then I saw the notice. The muddling up of "fun" and "funny" drives every English teacher to exasperation here, so I went into the shop and asked why the watches are labelled "funny". "Divertente", [enjoyable], chorused three shop assistants, looking at me as if I were mad. I explained the mistake but fear I was not believed.



Now, I can understand a small, independent shop in a small town getting it wrong but a national chain like Carpisa? Come on, guys, check your English!

From my booklet:  A-Z: English Language Tips For Italian Students



2 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Is the Italian word similar for both meanings, I wonder....

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Jenny. No. Fun = divertente [adjective]; funny = comico

Counters


View My Stats